Robert L. Thompson, M.D. is a board certified, fellowship-trained Orthopaedic Surgeon specializing in Foot and Ankle Orthopaedics. A Knoxville native, Dr. Thompson graduated Summa Cum Laude from Harding University with a B.S. in chemistry, and a B.A. in Spanish. He is a 2008 graduate of the University of Tennessee College of Medicine, and completed his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at the University of Kentucky in 2013. He then completed a fellowship in Foot and Ankle Surgery at UHZ Sports Medicine Institute/Miami Ankle Foot International Alliance in Coral Gables, Florida.
Dr. Thompson has provided team coverage for high school athletics in Lexington, Kentucky, and Miami-Dade County Florida, as well as covering Florida International University Athletics. He has also worked with the Miami City Ballet, the Miami Marathon, Discover Orange Bowl, World Golf Championship-Cadillac Championship in Doral, Florida, and the English National Soccer Team while in Fellowship.
Dr. Thompson has special interest in total ankle replacement, ankle and hindfoot arthroscopy, cartilage restoration techniques, sports-related foot and ankle injuries, arthritic conditions of the foot and ankle, and complex foot and ankle reconstruction. He is a member of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, has authored peer-reviewed papers and book chapters.
Dr. Thompson enjoys several recreational activities such as fishing, backpacking, golf, and playing the banjo. He and his wife, Lyndi, are the proud parents of three children, and enjoy spending time with family and church activities.
- Harding University - (B.A., 2004, Spanish & B.S., 2004, Chemistry) 2000-2004 Searcy, AR
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (M.D., 2008), 2004-2008 Memphis, TN
- University of Kentucky, Orthopaedic Surgery/General Surgery (2008-2009) Lexington, KY
- University of Kentucky, Orthopaedic Surgery (2008-2013) Lexington, KY
- UHZ Sports Medicine Institute/Miami Ankle Foot International Alliance Coral Gables, FL (2013-2014)