Stuart E. Smith, M.D.
Stuart E. Smith, M.D.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- University of Georgia, Athens, GA (B.S. 1986) Phi Beta Kappa, Summa Cum Laude
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN (M.D. 1990) Alpha Omega Alpha Honors
- Orthopaedic Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC
- Arthritis Surgery and Joint Replacement, Massachusetts General Hospital of the Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Dr. Smith completed a fellowship in Arthritis Surgery and Joint Replacement in Boston at the Massachusetts General Hospital of the Harvard Medical School. Prior to this, he completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte. He graduated from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. He is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. His primary expertise is in the field of joint replacement and arthritis surgery while other areas of interest are shoulder surgery, minimally invasive surgery and partial joint replacement. He is a member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons and the Society for Arthritic Joint Surgery.
Throughout his professional years, Dr. Smith has continually been involved in research and has presented and published his studies at national and international forums. He continues to be involved in research and hip implant design studies and is the designer of one of the most highly used unicompartmental knee replacements in the world. He is the author of a chapter in a book on hip replacement and serves on several faculty panels in courses on joint replacement. He prides himself in conservative surgical principles and minimally invasive techniques.
Dr. Smith has been in practice over 20 years, performing over 10,000 hip, knee and shoulder replacements. He continues to be one of the busiest, most experienced joint replacement surgeons in the southern United States.
Dr. Smith is a dedicated husband, and a father of three boys. He grew up on a chicken farm in South Georgia near Vidalia with his twin brother and three other brothers and sisters. He is an avid runner and bicyclist, and during his time off work, he enjoys fly fishing, camping and skiing. Community service has always been a focal point for Dr. Smith and he participates regularly in surgical mission trips to Haiti, Guatemala, and the Dominican Republic.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Justin Potter Foundation Scholarship - Medical School
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Sphinx Society
- Gridiron Secret Society
- Greek Horsemen President
- ODK Honorary
- Order of Omega
- Mortar Board
- Blue Key Senatorial Scholarship
Memberships & Associations
- Current Chairman Orthopedic Department Saint Thomas Midtown Hospital