Lucas K. Routh, M.D.
Lucas K. Routh, M.D.
-Rhodes College, 2004-2008, Memphis, TN
- Wake Forest University, 2008-2012, Winston-Salem, NC
-University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2012-2013, Orthopaedic Surgery Internship, Birmingham, AL
- University at Birmingham, 2013-2017, Orthopedic Surgery Residency, Birmingham, AL
- Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic, 2017-2018, Orthopedic Surgery Fellowship, Alexandria, VA
Dr. Lucas K. Routh is a fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in joint replacement surgery. Dr. Routh graduated Cum Laude from Rhodes College in Memphis, TN with a Bachelor of Science degree in biology.He earned his medical degree from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, NC and completed an internship and residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Dr. Routh completed a fellowship in Adult Reconstruction at the Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic in Alexandria, VA.His practice focuses on the treatment of osteoarthritis, post-traumatic injuries, primary and complex joint replacement surgery, revision surgery and the treatment of joint replacement infection of the hip and knee.
Dr. Routh is specialized in the direct anterior approach to the hip, as well as the traditional posterior and direct lateral approaches.Dr. Routh performs minimally invasive, unicompartmental (partial) knee replacement surgery.Dr. Routh also has an interest in performing outpatient, same-day hip and knee replacement surgery.
In 2016, Dr. Routh was inducted into The American Orthopaedic Association, Emerging Leadership Program. He has involved himself in clinical orthopaedic research throughout medical school, residency and fellowship.
Outside of work, Dr. Routh spends as much time as possible with his wife, daughter, son, and dog.He is an avid hunter and fisherman who enjoys spending his weekends in the woods, on the lake, or outside with his family.
- The Effect of Retrograde Reaming for Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis on Subtalar Joint Destruction: A Cadaveric Study. Jason A. Lowe, M.D., Lucas K. Routh, MD, Jeffrey T. Leary, M.D., Paul Buzhardt, M.D.,. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016 Jan-Feb;55(1):72-5. Epub 2015 Sep 11. Submitted for Publication at The Journal of Arthroplasty:
- Effect of a Clean Surgical Airflow Layer on the Incidence of Infection in Total Hip Arthroplasty. Lucas K. Routh, MD, Nancy L. Parks, MS, Jeanine M. Gargiulo, PA-C, William G. Hamilton, MD. Anderson Orthopaedic Research Institute. July, 2018
- Primary Investigator, The Effect of Retrograde Reaming for Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis in Subtalar Joint Destruction: A Cadaveric Study Co-Investigators: Jason A. Lowe, M.D., Orthopaedic Surgery, Jeffrey T. Leary, M.D., Orthopaedic Surgery, Paul Buzhardt, M.D., Orthopaedic Surgery University of Alabama at Birmingham, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Birmingham, AL, June 2013
- Research/Data Collection, Joint Replacement Pain-Related Fear of Movement and Range of Motion Primary Investigator: Jason E. Lang, M.D., Orthopaedic Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Winston-Salem, NC, August 2011
- Primary Investigator, Ultraviolet Radiation and Perioperative Bacterial Contamination in Orthopaedic Surgery Faculty Mentor: William G. Ward, M.D., Orthopaedic Surgery, Robert Sherertz, M.D., Infectious Disease, Beth Smith, Ph.D., Orthopaedic Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Winston-Salem, NC, May 2009 – August 2009
- Primary Investigator, The Resistance of Surgical Gowns and Drapes to Moist Bacterial Strike-Through Contamination, Faculty Mentor: William G. Ward, M.D., Orthopaedic Surgery, Robert Sherertz, M.D., Infectious Disease, Beth Smith, Ph.D., Orthopaedic Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Winston-Salem, NC, May 2009 – August 2009
- The American Orthopaedic Association, Emerging Leadership Program, 2016, New Inductee
- The American Orthopaedic Association, Resident Leadership Forum Member, 2016, Seattle, WA
- Chestley L. Yelton 2014 Resident Essay Competition, Third Place Essay Finalist, 2014 Alabama Orthopaedic Society Annual Scientific Orthopaedic Meeting, Podium Presentation, Birmingham, AL, April 2014
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, October 2011
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, Rhodes College, Memphis, TN, May 2008