Christian N. Anderson, M.D.
Christian N. Anderson, M.D.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- State of Tennessee (active) 2010
- State of California (active) 2011
- State of Kentucky (active) 2013
- University of Tennessee B.S. (2002, Biochemistry) 1998 – 2002, Knoxville, TN
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine M.D. (2007) 2003 – 2007, Nashville, TN
- Vanderbilt General Surgery 2007 – 2008, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Department of Surgery, Nashville, TN
- Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Surgery 2008 – 2012, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Nashville, TN
- Stanford Sports Medicine 2012 – 2013, Stanford University Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Stanford, CA
Christian Anderson, M.D., is a board certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon, specializing in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery of the knee, shoulder, and hip.
Dr. Anderson graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Tennessee, and was selected into the Phi Beta Kappa and Mortar Board honor societies as the top 1% of his peers based on academic performance and leadership. He received his medical degree and completed an Orthopaedic Surgery residency at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. In addition to his training at Vanderbilt, Dr. Anderson completed a sports medicine fellowship from the prestigious Stanford Sports Medicine Center, where he served as the team doctor for the San Francisco 49ers leading up to and during Super Bowl XLVII.
Dr. Anderson holds active memberships in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), and the Tennessee Medical Association (TMA). He has a specific interest in the advancement of sports medicine through research and has published 23 scientific articles and book chapters, with one additional article currently in press. He was also recently awarded a United States Patent for a meniscal repair device. In addition, he has presented his research at both national and international conferences.
Originally from Nashville, Dr. Anderson attended high school at Brentwood Academy, where he was the team captain of his three time state champion wrestling team. Dr. Anderson enjoys spending time with his family, as well as traveling, hunting, photography, and fly fishing—even holding three International Game and Fish World Records.
Click to download Dr. Anderson's iBook on Hip Impingement
- Anderson AF, Awh MH, and Anderson CN. The Anterior Meniscofemoral Ligament of the Medial Meniscus: Case Series. Am J Sports Med. 2004 Jun; 32(4):1035-40.
- Anderson AF, Anderson CN. Management of Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Knee. Techniques in Knee Surgery. 2005 Mar; 4(1):23-35.
- Anderson AF, Anderson CN. Hamstring Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in the Skeletally Immature Patient. Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2005 Sept; 20(3):314-22.
- Anderson AF, Anderson CN, Gorman TM, Cross MB, and Spindler KP. Radiographic Measurements of the Interchondylar Notch: Are They Accurate? Arthroscopy. 2007 Mar; 23(3):261-8.
- Anderson AF, Anderson CN. Posterior Cruciate and Posterior Lateral Reconstruction in an Adolescent: A Case Report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007 Jul; 89(7):1598-604.
- Anderson AF, Anderson CN. Transepiphyseal Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in Pediatric Patients: Surgical Technique. Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 2009 Jan/Feb. 1:76-80.
- Anderson CN, Anderson AF. Tibial Eminence Fractures. Pediatric Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury: A Focus on Prevention and Treatment in the Young Athlete. Eds. Ganley TJ and Miller MD. Clin Sports Med. 2011 Oct; 30(4):727-42.
- Anderson CN, Nyman JS, McCullough KA, Uppuganti S, Song Y, O’Neill KR, Anderson AF, Dunn WR. Biomechanical Evaluation of Physeal Sparing Fixation Methods in ACL Avulsion Fractures. Am J Sports Med. 2013 Jul; 41(7):1586-94.
- Anderson CN, Riley GM, Gold G, Safran MS. Hip- Femoroacetabular Impingement. Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Sports Medicine. Eds. Dr. Sanders. Clin Sports Med. 2013 Jul; 32(3):409-25.
- Anderson CN, Magnussen RA, Block JJ, Anderson AF, Spindler KP. Operative Fixation of Chondral Loose Bodies in Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Knee: A Report of Five Cases. OJSM. 2013 Jul 13. 1(2).
- Anderson CN and Anderson AF. Pediatric ACL: Evaluation and Management. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2014 Jul/Aug. 25(4). 305-320.
- Goldin M, Anderson CN, Fredericson M, Nugent R, Safran MR, Stevens, K. Femoral Neck Stress Fractures and Imaging Features of Femoroacetabular Impingement. PM&R. 2015. Jan 13.
- Anderson AF, Anderson CN. Correlation of Meniscal and Articular Cartilage Injuries in Children and Adolescents with Timing of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 2015 Feb;43(2):275-81.
- Anderson CN. Iliopsoas: Pathology, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Clin Sports Med. 2016 Jul;35(3):419-33.
- Anderson CN, Anderson AF. Management of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament-Injured Knee in the Skeletally Immature Athlete. Clin Sports Med. 2017 Jan;36(1):35-52.
- Anderson AF, Anderson CN. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in Skeletally Immature Patients. The Anterior Cruciate Ligament: Reconstruction and Basic Science. Eds. Prodromos, et al. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2008. 457-69.
- Anderson AF, Anderson CN. ACL Injury with Bony Avulsion. Advanced Reconstruction: Knee. Eds. Lieberman, et al. Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2011. 603-11.
- Anderson AF, Anderson CN. Reconstructing the Anterior Cruciate Ligament in Pediatric Patients. Insall and Scott: Surgery of the Knee. Eds. Scott, et al. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier, 2012. 855-64.
- Anderson CN, Safran MR. The Role of Arthroscopy in Elbow Instability. ISAKOS Elbow Arthroscopy. Eds. Pederzini LA, Bain G, and Safran MR. New York, NY: Springer, 2013. 57-71.
- Anderson CN, Safran MR. Arthroscopic Technique. ISAKOS Elbow Arthroscopy. Eds. Pederzini LA, Bain G, and Safran MR. New York, NY: Springer, 2013. 13-23.
- Anderson AF and Anderson CN. Technique: Anderson Technique. Knee Surgery for the Pediatric and Adolescent Athlete. Eds. Cordasco F and Green D. Wolters Kluwer. 2015. 46-52.
- Anderson AF and Anderson CN. Development of the IKDC Forms. Rotatory Knee Instability: An Evidence Based Approach. Eds. Musahl V, Karlsson J, Kuroda R, and Zaffagnini S. Springer, 2017. 131-146.
- Anderson AF and Anderson CN. Timing of Pediatric ACL Reconstruction. Controversies in the Technical Aspects of ACL Reconstruction: An Evidence-Based Medicine Approach. Eds. Nakamura N, Zaffagnini S, Marx RG, and Musahl V. Springer, 2017. 45-53.
- Anderson AF and Anderson CN. ACL Reconstruction in the Skeletally Immature: Transphyseal, All-Epiphyseal, Over-the-Top. Masters Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Reconstructive Knee Surgery, 4th Edition. Ed. Darren L. Johnson. Wolters Kluwe, 2017. 182-196.
- Anderson CN. Hip Impingement: A Patient Guide. Apple iBook. June 17, 2014. https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/hip-impingement/i...
- Phi Eta Sigma – University of Tennessee – National honor society recognizing scholastic achievement in freshman undergraduates - 1999
- Bucky Ball Award – University of Tennessee – Award given to the student with the highest grade in General Chemistry -1999
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars - University of Tennessee - Honors organization recognizing 2000 outstanding academic achievement among first and second year college students - 2000
- Phi Beta Kappa – University of Tennessee - 2000
- Alpha Epsilon Delta – University of Tennessee – National premedical honor society awarding excellence in premedical scholarship - 2001
- Golden Key International Honor Society – University of Tennessee – Academic honor society that recognizes scholastic achievement and excellence - 2001
- Mortar Board Society – University of Tennessee – One percent of senior class chosen based on academic performance, leadership, and service - 2002
- Summa Cum Laude – University of Tennessee, 3.93 GPA - 2002
- Microbes and Defense Society – Vanderbilt University School of Medicine - Honor society for excellence in microbiology and immunology - 2004
- International Game and Fish Association World Record – Landlocked Striped Bass, All Tackle Length Record Category - 2011
- International Game and Fish Association World Record – Calico Bass, 8lb Tippet Category - 2013
- International Game and Fish Association World Record – European Grayling, All Tackle Length Record Category - 2013
Memberships & Associations
- Rheumatology Current Research – Reviewer October 2013 – Present
- Clinical Journal of Orthopedics and Rheumatology – Editorial Board June 2014 – Present
- American Journal of Sports Medicine – Reviewer June 2014 – Present
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation – Grants Reviewer Aug 2014 – Present
- Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine - Reviewer June 2016 - Present
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Tennessee Medical Association
- Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Society
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine – Candidate Member
- Arthroscopy Association of North America - Associate Member
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association - Active Member
- Tennessee Orthopaedic Society
- Southern Orthopaedic Society
Team Coverage Experience
- Country Music Marathon, Nashville, TN 2005, 2006
- TSSAA football, Nashville, TN – Alternate team physician 2009
- Glencliff High School Football, Nashville, TN – Team physician 2010, 2011
- San Francisco 49ers Football, San Francisco, CA – Assistant team physician 2012 – 2013
- Stanford University Athletics – Associate team physician 2012 – 2013
- Cheatham County High School – Team Physician, 2013 - Present
- Ezell Harding High School - Team Physician, 2015 - Present
- Cheatham County
- Ezell Harding