Abiola A. Atanda, M.D.
Click here to talk with your friends and neighbors that
Abiola A. Atanda, M.D.
Fisk University, (Biology, 2005), Nashville, TN
Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine, 2011, Nashville, TN
New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, 2012-2017, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, New York, NY
Norton Leatherman Spine Center, 2017, Orthopaedic Spine Surgery Fellowship, Louisville, KY
Dr. Abiola A. Atanda is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in Spine surgery. Dr. Atanda received his Bachelors of Arts degree with a major in Biological sciences from Fisk University and later earned his medical degree from Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine, both in Nashville, TN. He completed a residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at NYU Langone Hospital for Joint Diseases in New York City. Dr. Atanda then completed a comprehensive adult and pediatric spine surgery fellowship in both Orthopaedic and Neurosurgery at the Norton Leatherman Spine Center in Louisville, KY.
He is highly interested in the surgical care of people who have experienced degenerative disease, deformity, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, disc herniation, trauma, tumors, and infections affecting the cervical, thoracic, and lumbosacral regions of the spine. Dr. Atanda keeps up with current advancements in Spine surgery- often using navigation technology to facilitate surgery- while delivering the highest level of data-driven care to patients. He always aims to provide personalized care that offers the best possible long-term outcome. He works with a team of talented specialists who are dedicated to significantly improving patients’ quality of life.
- Medical Student Summer Research, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN, May – July 2008
- Summer Undergraduate Research, Gas Technology Institute, Des Plaines, IL, May – August 2002, May – August 2003
- Swensen S, Fisher N, Atanda A, Egol KA. Suture Repair of a Pole Patella Fracture. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Aug;31 Suppl 3:S28-S29.
- Fisher N, Atanda A, Swensen S, Egol KA. Repair of Bimalleolar Ankle Fracture. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Aug;31 Suppl 3:S14-S15
- Poorman GW, Jalai CM, Diebo B, Vira S, Buza J, Baker J, Tishelman J, Horn S, Bono O, Shenoy K, Hasan S, Paul J, Isaacs E, Kaye I, Atanda A, Buckland AJ, LaFage V, Errico T, Passias PG. Congenital Etiology is an Independent Risk Factor for Complications in Adolescents Undergoing Corrective Scoliosis Surgery: Comparison of In-hospital Comorbidities Using Nationwide KID's Inpatient Database. J Pediatr Orthop. 2017 Apr 24.
- Passias PG, Poorman GW, Jalai CM, Diebo BG, Vira S, Baker JF, Shenoy K, Hasan S, Buza J, Bronson W, Paul JC, Kaye I, Atanda A, Cassilly RT, Foster NA, Oren JH, Lafage V, Errico TJ. Congenital versus Idiopathic Scoliosis: Comparison of In-Hospital Comorbidities Using Nationwide Inpatient Database (KID). The Spine Journal 16 (2016) S251-S337
- Karla K, Tang E, Atanda A, Khatib O, Shamah S, Meislin R, Jazrawi L. Can flexible instruments create adequate femoral tunnel lengths at 90° of knee flexion in ACL reconstruction? Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2016 Jun;74(2):135-40
- Atanda, AA, Oni, JK, Ramsden, DM, Yoon, RS, Ahmad, AA, Otsuka, NY.
- Hasan S, Chay E, Atanda A, McGee AW Jr, Jazrawi LM, Zuckerman JD
- Atanda A, Chambers T, Beech DJ. Situs Inversus. Tenn Med. 2013 Jan;106(1):33-4.
- The Prognostic Value of the Radiologic Appearance of the Navicular Ossification Center in Congenital Talipes Equinovarus. J Foot Ankle Surg, 2015 Sep-Oct. 54(5):844-7. The effect of shoulder immobilization on driving performance. J Shoulder Elbow Surg.JShoulder Elbow Surg. 2015 Feb; 24(2):273-9.
- Abiola Atanda, BA, Wendll Yarbrough, MD, Dana Marshall, PhD. Fetuin-A, a potential biomarker for Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma, National Medical Association, Surgical Session, Annual Convention and Scientific Assembly, Las Vegas, NV, July 2009.
- Kenneth A. Egol, MD, Abiola Atanda, MD. Intertrochanteric Fracture; Open Reduction Internal Fixation with Dynamic Hip Screw: Case Presentation and Surgical Technique. An Educational video for the Adult Hip session of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons – July 2011
- Edward Tang, MD, Kunal Karla, MD, Abiola Atanda, MD, Saqib Hasan, BS, Laith Jazrawi, MD, Robert Meislin, MD. Flexible Reamers in Anatomic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: Tunnel length and Risk of Nerve Injury. Arthroscopy Association of North America, 2012 Annual Meeting
- Abiola Atanda, MD, Stanislav Sidash, MD, Laith Jazrawi. MD. Ultrasound in Sports Medicine: current concepts, techniques and perspectives. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2012 Annual Meeting.
- Meredith Mayo, BS, Saqib Hasan, BS, Abiola Atanda, MD, Eric Strauss, MD, Laith Jazrawi, MD. Driving while immobilized: Incorporating New Data into Comprehensive Guidelines. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2012 Annual Meeting and Arthroscopy Association of North America, 2012 Annual Meeting
- Young Kwon, MD PhD, Joseph D. Zuckerman, MD, Ikemefuna Onyekwelu, MD, Saqib Hasan, BS, Abiola Atanda, MD. Rotator Cuff Sparing Total Shoulder Arthroplasty through the Rotator Interval. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2012 Annual Meeting
- Srino Bharam, MD, Stanislav Sidash, MD, Abiola Atanda, MD. Hip Arthroscopy: Management of chrondral lesions due to FAI. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2012 Meeting
- Laith Jazrawi, MD, Edward Tang, MD, Joshua Namm, BS, Saqib Hasan, BS, Abiola Atanda, MD, Kunal Kalra, MD. Humeral Avulsion of the Glenohumeral Ligament (HAGL) Lesion: Current concepts in Treatment and Management. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2012 Annual Meeting and Arthroscopy Association of North America, 2012 Annual Meeting
- Laith Jazrawi, MD, Kunal Kalra, MD, Michael Hall, MD, Abiola Atanda, MD, Dennis Cardone, DO. The Role of Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection: An Educational Multimedia Program. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2012 Annual Meeting and Arthroscopy Association of North America, 2012 Annual Meeting
- Kenneth A. Egol, MD, Abiola Atanda, MD, Mathew Hamula, BA, BS, Jason P. Hochfelder, MD. Removal of a Broken Intramedullary Nail & Exchange Nailing for Tibial Nonunion. American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons multimedia. March 2013.
- Abiola Atanda, MD, Alice Chu, MD, Wallace Lehman, MD. Recurrent Idiopathic Clubfoot Deformity following treatment by the Ponseti Method. 8th International Clubfoot Congress, Rome, Italy. September 2016
- Laratta JL, Shillinford JN, Atanda AA, Lombardi JM, Saifi C, Lenke LG, Lehman RA. The National Impact of Spinal Laminectomy Readmission throughout the United States. Lumbar Spine Research Society (LSRS) Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL. April 2018.
- Deepan N. Patel, MD, Abiola A. Atanda, MD, Eric J. Strauss, MD, Andrew S. Rokito, MD. Video Atlas - Shoulder Surgery - Chapter 67: Distal Clavicle Resection – Arthroscopic. Jaypee’s Video Atlas of Arthroscopy surgery. July 2011. Editor: Peter McCann, M.D.
Manuscript in Progress:
- Abiola Atanda, Peter Passias. Proximal Junctional Kyphosis.
- Atanda AA, Glassman SD, Dimar JR, Gum JL, Crawford III CH, Bratcher KR, Carreon LY. Clinical Utility of the Berg Balance Scale in Adult Spine Deformity.
- Carl J Herzog Presidential Award Recipient
- Dorothy M. Forde-Bolden, MD Award
- Beta Kappa Chi National Honors
- Kaiser Permanente Award
- Fisk-Meharry Joint Scholarship
- Volanda Ball Orr Scholarship
Memberships & Associations
- J. Robert Gladden Orthopaedic Society
- North American Spine Society